Saturday, August 2, 2014

One Week Anniversary

Michelle and I have been in South Africa for about a week (technically tomorrow, but we’ve been in Peace Corps’ hands since July 1st). There are so many things to talk about, so it’s hard to know where to start. Also, having limited access to the Internet presents its own challenge. For example, I wrote this post in Word in preparation to upload it when I could get online. 

Peace Corps Staff Waiting for Us at the Airport in Johannesburg
Truthfully, though, I’m enjoying being disconnected from the Internet. My pants pockets have been the lightest they’ve been since before I started carrying a wallet. This is a small way to illustrate that I no longer have a cell phone that can connect to the Internet, send/receive texts, or make phone calls. It’s liberating! I may feel differently in a month, but right now I’m enjoying not having the distraction of a phone because it’s enabling me to really connect with the other Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) instead of feeling the need to check my email.

Fellow PCTs Socializing
Michelle and I are working on other posts that we’ll upload when we have another opportunity. We’re excited to share the language we’re learning – isiZulu, talk about Ubuntu and its influence on just about everything, gender dynamics, and more. For now, I’ll just say that we’re doing well and we’re quite busy. We’re in training sessions from 8:00am-5:00pm. The Peace Corps staff is presenting a lot of information, from language and culture to medical preparedness and development work. When we go to bed, we’re pretty exhausted.

One quick language lesson before I go. I’ve learned some slang in isiZulu. The first is “sharp, sharp” (pronounced “shop, shop”; like a store). People say it while holding a thumbs up. It means “great” or “cool”. Another word that’s commonly used to say cool is “sure”.

We hope everyone is going well back home!

***SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO NICOLE & EDDIE!!!!!! HAPPY WEDDING DAY!!! We are sad to not be there in person, but you are definitely on our hearts!! (Our homework practice sentences are becoming different versions of “Nicole and Eddie will get married” and “I visited America because Nicole married Eddie.”) xoxo!

Salani kahle (stay well all)!

No comments:

Post a Comment