Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Ubuntu

Joe and I are over the moon to be here! The travel was a bit tiring (that is, perhaps, an understatement… or just feeling so punch-drunk over being here that anything seems like a beautiful challenge). We are excited to meet so many interesting people from diverse backgrounds, who share similar passions for education, travel, and cultural understanding.

One of the cultural values that we have really connected with is “Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is the idea that we are all interconnected. My happiness and success is dependent upon your happiness and success. I cannot be well unless you are also well. I am because you are.

This cultural nuance warmed my heart. What a beautiful perspective on family and community… What is equally as beautiful is how “Ubuntu” is manifested within the culture.

For example, “sawubona” is the word used to greet a singular person in isiZulu. “Sanibonani” is the correct way to greet a group of people.   However, it is common in everyday speech to use “sanibonani” when speaking only to one person. When asked why that is, the response was this:
“We commonly use ‘sanibonani’ when speaking to an individual, because we are a culture that values not only who you are, but where you come from. Therefore when I am greeting you, I am not only greeting you but also the people in your family and those who went before you.”

Joe and I shared this sentiment later and drew our own lines between this practice/phrase and the cultural significance of ancestors and collectivist values. I am curious whether a person from South Africa would draw those same lines. I am also curious about other examples of how cultural philosophy might impact other day-to-day practices and language.



No comments:

Post a Comment