Thursday, May 14, 2015

PC Art: An Exploration of Media

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."

- Vincent Van Gogh


Sharing Art: What it Means to Me
Art and reading are probably the two oldest hobbies that I have. I vividly remember my teachers and my mom raving about a drawing I did of a three-story house in first grade. I loved all kinds of art--chalk drawing, finger paints, everything! I wanted to be a street artist and make beautiful pictures all day. But slowly, as I got older, I became shyer about my work. Eventually, it became a sort of hidden part of my identity.

After being so moved by the examples of art as a medium for resistance and social change in Cape Town, I started to shift how I viewed this old hobby of mine. I saw how art can provide a space for healing and community and I hope to one day integrate my own art and justice work in a more cohesive way. To achieve this, I will need to start taking my art more seriously. Part of that process is to share it more freely with others... so, here goes!

What It’s Made Of: Artistic Media
One thing I found interesting about the variety of art media I have used while in South Africa. There are no two that are the same! This feels like an appropriate indicator for PC life: unpredictable, use whatever resources you have, learn something new, and make it work.

A special shout-out to those who gifted me with art supplies to make these pieces possible: Gabi, Cody, and Emmy (drawing book); Mom and Dad Harper (oil paints); and Stephanie (coloured pencils).

Ndlovu
In isiZulu, ndlovu is the word for elephant. One of my dearest PCV friends is staying with a family with Ndlovu as the surname (thus it is her Zulu surname also). Elephants symbolize wisdom, loyalty, and discernment, which are pretty fitting for her personality. So, when I told her that I would draw her something, what could be more perfect?
Ndlovu
(Media: graphic pencils, leaves)
A Portrait of a Movie Star
During a depressive week, I asked my friends to send me art requests. To which Caroline responded: “Draw MEEEEEE!” I was pretty nervous because portraits are hard. But, an ask is an ask and I was going to do my best to follow through. I chose an inspiration picture of her on top of Table Mountain—a day when our friends were being so dramatic with their silly camera shots and poses that people seriously thought they were famous. So, to my dear movie star, Caroline…

A Portrait of a Movie Star
(Media: graphic pencil, color pencils)
Like a Champ
You may remember from our Valentine’s Day post, that I was especially giddy over witnessing these four tiny baby sea turtles make their first epic journey to the sea. Of course I gave them all names (Crush, Patty, Guillermo, and Champ). Champ was bringing up the end and s-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n-g! We cheered him on and cleared out obstacles to make sure he made it to his first dive. I did this painting to remember the beauty of that day—and because I’d like to think Champ is out there, gaining his sea legs, and confidently riding the waves.

Like a Champ
(Medium: oil paint)
 Gita!
The gita is a traditional Zulu dance (it was a pre-war dance that involves very high kicking). After our school’s Heritage Day celebration last September, I wanted to try and paint one of the dancers as my own memory of the power and beauty of the culture. We will call this one a “work in progress” because I will probably tinker with it for another few months before I really like it.
Gita!
(Medium: acrylic paint)
Conclusion
I am making a commitment to sharing my art more openly with the world and making space for it in my life. This will take some bravery and consistency to uphold. As I gain more confidence in my abilities, I will become more adventurous and maybe dip my toe into deeper, justice-oriented themes and subject matter. 

Get excited! (I know I am!)

___________________________________
PCV TIP: Finding Art Supplies in South Africa
You can find most art supplies that doubles as school supplies and/or hardware in the village. The quality won't be ideal but you can make it work:
  • Coloured pencils
  • Pencils, pens, markers
  • Turpentine (for thinning your oil paints)
  • Cheap, cheap watercolors (if you are lucky)
  • House paints
  • Leaves, flowers, dirt-- easy to find and FREE! 
You will need to go to a larger city (or bring over from the US) any higher quality items that you desire. For me, this included:
  • Oil paints
  • Acrylic paints
  • Coloured pencils (I brought a giant variety pack from the US)
  • Paint brushes
  • Graphic pencils

Good luck with your art and most importantly, have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment