Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother’s Day: An International Holiday

Today is Mother’s Day in BOTH the US and South Africa. So, we wanted to take a moment and thank the three moms who have supported us the most in our PC journey!

Debi / Momma (Michelle’s Mom)
Michelle, Momma, and (BONUS!) Maw-maw
Hey Momma,

Happy Mother’s Day from South Africa! :) I remember that on last Mother’s Day someone posted a photo of a PCV that said, “It takes a special kind of mom to raise a Peace Corps Volunteer.” It is so true. I learned about the importance of volunteering and “leaving a place better than you found it” from you. The countless merit badges, summer camps, USO volunteer shifts, and church service activities that we completed together have anchored the value of service to the core of who I am. That sense of service paired with an early love for culture and travel (although this could be more attributed to following dad’s job—you CHOSE daddy, so you get at least partial credit ;)).

I value your support through our service here in South Africa. I know it is scary to see your baby move halfway around the world to a brand new place. You have been very brave and encouraging, even helping me remember how long I have wanted to do this. Thank you and enjoy a Happy Mother’s Day. I hope daddy and Beau (and Anne, from afar) have planned something sweet for you today. xoxo

Love,
Shelly
(aka “Bits”)

Mrs. Michelle / Mom (Joe’s Mom)
Joe and Mom
Dear Mom,

Happy Mother’s Day! While I know you wish I was there to celebrate with you in person, you have been such a great support for me since I’ve been here in South Africa. As I reflect on Mother’s Day and its significance, I am reminded of the values you instilled in me that I strive to exhibit everyday: love, kindness, and openness of the heart and mind… Since arriving in South Africa, I have met so many people here who remind me of you because of their friendliness and willingness to help a complete stranger (me!). It makes me smile when I think of the countless times we were somewhere and you struck up a conversation with the person next to you. The two of you would talk and laughed, leaving me with the impression that you’ve known each other for a long time. I only find out later that you just met that person. It’s a beautiful thing how effortlessly you connect with others. It is these qualities that I strive to embody through my interactions with people here. Thank you for being such a great mom and role model.

Love,
Your son,
-Joey

Mama Mbatha (Our PST Mom)
Nolwandle, Mama, and Bongani
Mama othandekayo,

Siyakuthanda! Siyakukhumbula futhi. Siyabonga ukuthi wasamukela ekhaya lakho. Usiphe ukudla, wasifundisa. Usinike umndeni omusha wasinika nekhaya elisha. Siyabonga kakhulu.

Siyathemba ikuthokozisile iMothers Day yakho,

Nolwandle noBongani



[English Translation:

Dear Mama,

We love you! We miss you, also. We are thankful that you welcomed us in your home. You fed us. You taught us. You gave us our new family. You gave us our new home. We thank you very much.

We trust that you enjoyed/rejoiced in your Mothers Day.

Nolwandle (Michelle; “Mother of the ocean”) and Bongani (Joe; “Giving thanks”)]





No comments:

Post a Comment