Saturday, January 9, 2016

Michelle's 18-Month Reflection: How Do I Explain This?

My words are flying through my fingertips
They splatter on the blank wall like a Jackson Pollock
forming a 2-dimensional imitation,
a misshapen shadow of the vivid spirit that fills my life.
—a farce.

I try to catch them, to sculpt them into something more real, more authentic.
I will my words to hold the shape of children’s laughter on the school ground,
to mould each vein on my gogo’s hands
as she grinds the mealies in a hallowed out tree trunk.
to form the pit in my stomach of self-doubt and uncertainty
as I tippy-toe around my role as guest, collaborator, contributor, and friend.

My fingertips would form a swollen heart filled with love and pride and loyalty.
Loyalty.
A sense of shared destiny, of belonging to one another, like brother and sister,
yet being apart.
A visitor at home.

Try as I may, my lexis fails me and my words fall flat. 

I will endeavor, in the future, to bring life to my language and better honour the soul of the phenomena that surround and hold me here.
 
______________________________
Joe has pointed out that we have kept a pattern of posting a broader personal reflection every 6 months. The theme of my reflection is my inadequacy in relaying the soul of this experience to you, the reader. I am feeling and living so many raw and real things and it often feels like a minimization or an injustice to try and put them down on paper. I get caught up in trying to say it right, get it right. Torn between writing as self-expression and writing as an explanation. My words fail me, but I promise to try harder in these last months here.
Because sometimes getting it down imperfectly is better than letting it pass, disregarded, as though it never happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment