Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Heritage Day 2015

Michelle and I have been in South Africa long enough now that we’re able to have the chance to celebrate special occasions for a second time. One such special occasion is Heritage Day. (I wrote about Heritage Day last year; you can read more about it here.)

The Teachers Lookin' Fancy
Yesterday, teachers and learners donned their traditional garb. There were performances including: musical poetry by Grade R* learners, storytelling by a Grade 3 learner, teacher imitations by Grade 5 learners, songs by Grade 6 learners, and gumboot dancing by Grade 7 learners.

Grade 6 Learners Performing Songs

There was also a special dance performance by the teachers. All of the teachers got involved this year, including me. The learners and teachers thought I was a riot when it was my turn to dance.

Joe Shaking Things Up
Joe High-Steppin'
After school let out, the teachers stayed behind to share a traditional meal together. I tried tripe for the first time as part of a tribal dumpling soup. I was hesitant to try it because it’s unusual for my culture, but I was (greatly) pleasantly surprised to find that it was delicious. Last year, I brought chocolate chip cookies, so this year I wanted to bring something different. I’ve observed that meat pies are common throughout the country; however, fruit pies don’t seem to exist. I used that as inspiration to bake apple pie. The pie was a hit!

Mr. Thwala and Several Learners Performing a Shembe Dance
Get it Ms. Khumalo!
Heritage Day took on more meaning for me this year than it did last year. Having gotten to know and grow closer to my fellow teachers and the learners made the holiday more special. I tried describing the change in this way to the teachers, “In the time I have been here, you have welcomed me with open arms and warm hearts. We have built friendships. I have grown to feel like I have become part of your family.” There were moments during the celebration when I could feel tears welling up behind my eyes because of the joy and pride I feel for the people at my school. But there was another reason I felt emotional; these feelings were also tinged with sadness because it was possible that it will be my last Heritage Day in South Africa. (About a year from now, Michelle and I will be returning to the US.)

Teachers Singing and Dancing
What these feelings taught me were that I need to cherish moments like the ones I described above and to make the most of the time I have left. The next big event coming up is the Grade 7 Farewell (it’s the graduation for the learners as a send off to high school). I wasn’t able to attend the Farewell last year because of a training, but I’ll be able to go this year. I look forward to it!

_____________________________________

*Grade R = kindergarten

1 comment:

  1. Of course Joe would participate in the dancing :) Thanks for sharing. Relish the moments and keep making memories!

    ReplyDelete