Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Weekend Away

Michelle and I had a splendid time with our friend Patty, a Peace Corps Volunteer from our cohort, a couple of weekends ago. During the first few months while we’re settling into our permanent site, we’re allowed to travel away one weekend per month as long as we stay within our province. Michelle and I decided to use our weekend to visit Patty. (See The Kindness of Strangers for an account of our journey travelling to Patty).

During our visit with Patty, we talked, shared high’s and lows about our Peace Corps experience thus far, baked pizza and made French toast, and played one of my favorite games – Settlers of Catan. It felt so good to get away for the weekend. The trip gave me something to which to look forward. I haven’t been the kind of person who likes to stay stationary or spend all day indoors. I like to get out, explore, and to see and do things. Since I arrived in South Africa, my experience has been more like the former. It has been an adjustment for me to spend so much time in one place. Spending a weekend with Patty gave me exactly what I needed.

Michelle & Patty Playing Settlers.  So nerdy! :D
Patty asked for a "shout out" to the ironing board in the background that doubles as a table.
Further, conversation with Patty was enlightening. I have had significantly more free time on my hands since I’ve gotten to South Africa. This has given me time to reflect and process. Talking with Patty helped me process through some things because she gave me language that I could use to describe what I have been feeling. As an added bonus, Patty shared some life wisdom that helped to give me perspective on some of my own life experiences.

In addition to seeing Patty, when we went to the mall in her shopping town, we got to see another volunteer from our cohort, Karen, and spend the day with her too. Having a weekend away was a wonderful gift. I look forward to the next one.

1 comment:

  1. Always great to connect with folks and just relax. Inactivity can be an underrated activity ;)

    ReplyDelete